New Zealand Maori Carved Wood War Club ‘Tewhatewha’

A Rare New Zealand Maori Carved Wood War Club ‘Tewhatewha’
Smooth silky patina old stone cut hole for the attachment of feathers 
James Hooper inventory number to the shaft ‘H. 260’
18th – Early 19th Century

Size: 175.5cm long - 69 ins long
The ‘Tewhatewha’ was a New Zealand Maori two-handed club with an expanded end at the blade which was used both as a weapon and signalling device by the commander of an army, the expanded surface making it clearly visible. The ‘Tewhatewha’ caught the eye of the Europeans, as the expanded axe-like blade often had hawk or pigeon feathers attached through a small hole which would quiver in the wind, and were flicked across an opponent’s face to distract him and permit a blow delivered with the thick back of the blade. When swung like a quarterstaff the enemy would be struck by the straight edge behind the flat surface, often in the side of the head.
     Warfare was common amongst the Maori as demonstrated by the large number of fortifications known as ‘Pa’ built by them and the wide range of weapons developed. Fighting was an integral part  of Maori life and every adult male became a warrior when circumstances demanded. They were rigorously trained from youth in martial exercises and weaponry as there existed prescribed fighting techniques for each weapon.
 
Ex James Hooper collection no. 260
Acquired 1926 from Colonel W. Dawson Streatley, Berkshire described as a ‘Hatchet’
Ex David Petty London 1980’s
Ex Private French collection

New Zealand Maori Carved Wood War Club ‘Tewhatewha’

Main image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image

ENQUIRIES

+44 (0) 207 689 7500

+44 (0)7836 684133
+44 (0)7768 236921

enquiries@finch-and-co.co.uk
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image

ENQUIRIES

+44 (0) 207 689 7500

+44 (0)7836 684133
+44 (0)7768 236921

enquiries@finch-and-co.co.uk