Baccarat Cut Lead Crystal Glass Pedestal Jar and Cover with Ormolu Mounts

A Fine French Baccarat Cut Lead Crystal Glass Pedestal Jar and Cover with Ormolu Mounts
The spherical jar with a standing rose bud finial and acanthus leaf collar. The glass body deeply slice cut with repeat anthemion motifs on a petalled wirework collar standing on three scroll legs with ram mask feet mounted upon a slice cut glass cylindrical base set on an engine turned square plinth
Circa 1820-30
Size: 36cm high – 14¼ ins high
The Baccarat glassworks was established in 1764 by the Bishop of Metz who obtained permission from Louis XV to start the glasshouse of Sainte Anne at Baccarat south east of Nancy. The factory began to manufacture table and window glass, but after a series of misfortunes commencing with the depression prior to the French Revolution, the factory was purchased for 862 hectogrammes of fine gold by Monsieur d’Artiques, owner of the glassworks at Vonéche in Belgium. Between 1817 and 1822 the firm traded under the name ‘Vonéche Baccarat’ and concentrated on the manufacture of lead crystal. In 1822 the factory changed hands again and the ‘compagnie des cristalleries de Baccarat’ was established.
It is from this period that these fine examples of ormolu mounted lead crystal come from. Baccarat specialised in the luxury glass market and went on to become one of the most important European producers of pressed and diamond cut lead glass both for the table and for ornament.

Baccarat Cut Lead Crystal Glass Pedestal Jar and Cover with Ormolu Mounts

Main image

SOLD

Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image

ENQUIRIES

+44 (0) 207 689 7500

+44 (0)7836 684133
+44 (0)7768 236921

enquiries@finch-and-co.co.uk
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image
Mini image

ENQUIRIES

+44 (0) 207 689 7500

+44 (0)7836 684133
+44 (0)7768 236921

enquiries@finch-and-co.co.uk